We are doing a series on “Gearing Up for Fall,“ because ready or not, here it comes. (I’m ready.) Too often, as humidity trends upward, ambition tends to slump. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Schedule time each week to focus on your fall strategy and set measurable goals. Plant the seeds now to build momentum for a robust fall.
- Know what your story is and be ready to tell it. Pick the topics that are important to you and be relentless in playing a role in associated conversations.
- Do a survey. Find an interesting topic, survey your members or stakeholders, and use the results to capture media attention.
- Invest time and money to develop your media list.
- Leverage social media. While the pace is slow, follow the journalists whose interest you covet. Tweet at them. Know your allies and your adversaries…both present opportunities. Be part of the discussion.
- Pick your spokespeople. Identify the internal and external experts you want talking with the media.
- Have a plan. Much of getting media attention is spontaneous, so you have to be ready with a plan. Spokespeople, your story (key messages), tactics you’re willing to employ (i.e. surveys). Have it ready go so that…
- When opportunities arise, seize them. Sometimes you only get a small window in which to maneuver. You have to be ready.